Accrington Benjamin Hargreaves CE (VA) Primary School
Governors’ Statement of Curriculum Aims
We, at Benjamin Hargreaves, strive for excellence in education by providing a safe, secure, caring family environment, where all are valued and respected as individuals, enabling them to reach their full potential, whilst growing in their love and understanding of the Christian Faith.
Aims of the National Curriculum
- The National Curriculum provides pupils with an introduction to the essential knowledge that they need to be educated citizens. It introduces pupils to the best that has been thought and said; and helps to engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement.
- The National Curriculum is just one element in the education of every child. There is time and space in the school day and in each week, term and year to range beyond the National Curriculum specifications. The National Curriculum provides an outline of core knowledge around which teachers can develop exciting and stimulating lessons to promote the development of pupils’ knowledge, understanding and skills as part of the wider School Curriculum.
Benjamin Hargreaves School Aims
- We intend our pupils to acquire the skills and knowledge which will enable them to develop as whole people, confident and willing, caring and concerned, committed to their own development, yet aware of their responsibilities to others.
- We intend that pupils gain the independence of thought and action for their own well-being and happiness and that of others.
We recognise that every child is entitled to:
- be safe and healthy;
- enjoy and achieve economic well-being;
- make a positive contribution.
In order to achieve our aims we will base our own practices on a set of principles:-
- We have high expectations of pupils in all areas of learning so that the pupils can reach their full potential.
- We will get to know our children as individuals and treat all children fairly.
- We will provide an education designed for the development of the whole person: spiritual, social, emotional, physical, intellectual and moral.
- We will encourage a sense of independence and of responsibility within and for the community.
- We will emphasise the positive achievements of pupils as individuals both in School and in their outside activities.
- We will provide opportunities for parents/carers to discuss their children’s progress attainment and well-being.
Review date: June 2017