Accrington Benjamin Hargreaves CE (VA) Primary School
The Purpose of Homework
The Homework Policy has been developed to form an effective partnership between School and parents/carers. Children need parental support to ensure that work is completed and returned to School within a set time.
Together we aim to:
- consolidate and reinforce skills, particularly in literacy and mathematics;
- extend school learning into the home and vice versa;
- encourage pupils to develop confidence and discipline for independent learning.
Types and amount of homework
- Homework will be sent out on Friday and returned by Wednesday
- Homework is primarily set to reinforce work taught in literacy and mathematics and occasionally for other curriculum areas.
- Homework may be linked to a theme or topic and given over a period of time.
- Homework will not be set if child is absent through illness or holiday, unless specifically requested or appropriate.
- Homework in classes will be differentiated to meet individual/group needs.
- Children should be given enough time to complete the set tasks but homework must be returned on time.
- Homework is sometimes set for children to complete during the School’s half-term – often of an investigative nature
- Additional homework may be given to children to support booster or intervention work.
- Reading - pupils take home story and picture books to develop speaking and listening skills and reading readiness.
- Flashcards – phonemes/tricky word flashcards (when appropriate)
- Talk homework - a weekly task based on the following week’s topic
Key Stage 1
- Reading - daily practice using the graded reading scheme and story books.
- Weekly spellings are given linked to Phonics work
- English/Maths or Topic task
Key Stage Two
- Reading - remains a vital part of the children’s learning. It is important that children continue to read daily either with an adult or independently.
- English task
- Maths task
- Weekly spellings to learn
- Homework is given out on Fridays and returned to School on the following Wednesday.
- A record is kept by the class teacher of completed homework. Parents/carers will be notified if their child is regularly failing to return their homework.
- Children who do not return homework will attend Homework Club on Wednesday lunchtimes.
- Homework will be marked and sent home to parents/carers.
Review date: December 2017