Benjamin Hargreaves C.E.(VA) Primary School
Target Setting Policy
We, at Benjamin Hargreaves, strive for excellence in education by providing a safe, secure, caring family environment, where all are valued and respected as individuals. We will endeavour to enable all our pupils to reach their full potential, whilst growing in their love and understanding of the Christian Faith.
Benjamin Hargreaves CE (VA) Primary School is committed to giving all pupils every opportunity to achieve the highest of standards. Target-setting is the means by which we identify specific and measurable goals that help to improve the standards achieved by all our pupils. Targets may relate to individual pupils, groups of pupils within classes, or whole cohorts of pupils.
Our aims in target setting are to raise standards of achievement by:
- achieving specific objectives that are being taught in the curriculum and plan for next steps;
- giving children targets to reach in a given time;
- setting targets that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time related;
- being aware of the strengths and weaknesses of individual children or groups of children and to target support and differentiated activity as appropriate;
- setting high teacher expectations and challenges that raise the standards of pupils’ achievement;
- working in partnership with parents/carers to contribute to the development of individual children.
- End of year targets are set for all children in Maths, Reading and Writing in September each year.
- More able children will be identified specifically.
- Children on School Action or above on the SENDRecord will have an individual plan.
- Children will receive personal targets for English and Maths.
- Targets will berevisedregularly and basedon ongoing formative and summative assessments.
- Staff INSET and development will enable teachers to assess curriculum and clearly identify the next steps needed in individual learning.
Organisation and Management
- Each child’s progress is tracked through the School; the information being collated in year group tracking files and on the Lancashire Tracking Tool.
- Formal tests/assessmentsincludeEarly Years Foundation Stage baseline, Year 1 Phonics Screening Check,Year 2 Statutory KS1 SATS andYear 6 Statutory KS2 SATS
- Formative assessments include ongoing Maths assessments, writing assessments, reading and comprehension tests.
- Summative Assessments are made using teacher assessment and non-statutory tests e.g. Optional tests in Years 3,4 5.
- are made in lessons indicating next steps in planning
- Teachers use Lancashire KLIPs (Key Learning Indicators of Performance Year 1-6) to record attainment in independent work
- All information informs the knowledge and expectations of the next teacher and supports the continuity and progression of standards and the curriculum.
- Targets are set for individual children using the forecast information, knowledge of the pupils and informed dialogue with the previous teacher.
- The information is collated onschool trackers and on the Lancashire Tracking Tool. These are used to inform planning by the teachers who are able to keep track of pupils’ expectations and achievements.
- Detailed analysis of the progress of pupils, the class and year group is made through the Lancashire Tracking Tool.
- Information is also shared with Core subject leaders to assist in their knowledge of cohorts, progress and monitoring of standards.
- Detailed analyses of results enables the Teachers, Headteacher and Governors to track the progress of the School year on year.
- Staff will be issued with achievement information with prior performance of their new pupils.
- The formal targets are negotiated with and agreed by the Headteacher.
- Formal targets are presented to the Governors who formally approve them.
Monitoring and evaluating
- The core subject leaderswill keep details of assessment data and analyses for their subjects in their Leadership Files. This information will be used together with other analysis such as the analysis of test papers, to identify areas for attention and intervention if needed.
- Core subject leaders will provide a report as a result of their analysis of their subject data to SLT and Governors.
- Findings of the analysis of school data will be fully discussed with individual teachers and all staff to enable the information to be used to inform planning and curriculum delivery.
- Targets are set in the Autumn term and analysed. These are used for teachers’ Performance Management and Teaching assistants’ Appraisal.
- The Headteacher will oversee the management and co-ordination of target setting through staff meetings, SLT meetings, updating records on the spreadsheet and keeping staff informed of progress.
Review date: May 2020